Best Hamstring Stretch Ever!!!

After months of running without stretching (very bad thing to do) accompanied by a lot of time spent at my desk at work, I have developed some tight, inflexible hamstrings.  To counteract this I remind myself at work to attempt to fit some walks outside or around the building into my daily routine.  I also do dynamic stretching pre-activity and static stretching post-activity and of course I am noticing dramatic changes in my flexibility.

While on my cruise vacation the trainer at the gym showed me this awesome hamstring stretch and I thought I would share.  You need a towel and a comfy spot to lie on your back.  Assume this position...


A variation is to keep the non-stretched leg bent but I prefer it lying flat.  As well, using your hands twist the towel onto itself and use your two hands to "walk" up the towel towards your ankle while pulling your head and shoulders off the ground.  Remember to try not to bounce and the goal is to achieve a slow and steady stretch.

Okay, here is where it gets good.  When stretching your right leg, hang onto the towel ends with only your right hand.  Place your left arm at your side, turn head to the left and slowly let your right leg fall to the right.  This stretches the inside of your leg nicely.  You can control the stretch by moving your hand up or down the towel.  Hold there for a while and them bring your leg up to starting position, grab towel ends with your left hand, lie right arm at side and turn your head to the right.  Let your right leg fall across your body keeping it as straight as possible.  Then repeat the stretches with your left leg.

This stretch has changed my outlook on stretching entirely and has made dramatic improvements to my hamstrings' health and flexibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts

What do corn and Alaska have in common?