Reflecting on 2011 - it's time!

What is it about the start of a new year that makes me so happy?  Is it the idea of a clean slate that is so appealing or the vast array of people who are trying to improve their lives through resolutions?  Whatever it is, I love it.

That being said, 2011 was a fabulous year for myself and my family.  Many important milestones and experiences have occurred and lasting memories have been made.

I think my most significant event in 2011 was being able to take my mother to Alaska.  She has always wanted to go but really if it had been left to her abilities it would have never happened.  So, it was great to see her experience many firsts at the age of 61.  Seeing her:  take her first airplane ride, get excited about the Rocky Mountains as we were flying over them, to watch her step onto a humongous cruise ship, to see whales up close in the ocean, to visit a small native community in Alaska, and the list goes on and on.  Sure, there were times on the cruise ship that were boring for her or I saw her obvious discomfort with some things (like food choices or lack of Pepsi) but all in all I know that it is the best trip she has ever been on and being able to give that to her makes me very proud.  It was a fabulous trip to experience with my mother and I will remember it always.
The explanation for my face is that I was always coaching my mom how to smile.

By the end of the cruise, she was smiling and looking at the camera.  Way to go Mom!
Working three nursing jobs and trying to juggle work and home life was extremely challenging for me.  Working nights and weekends really wore on me mentally and physically.  I always felt I wasn't here for the people I loved the most and let me tell you, driving for 45 minutes in the dead of winter to go in for an 11pm shift really sucked.  So I was elated when I was told I had been successful in obtaining a permanent full-time position at the Health Unit.  In my opinion, working at the Health Unit is an amazing fit for my personality and it truly is my dream nursing job.  I am grateful everyday when I go to work and believe me I know how lucky I am and I value my job immensely.  And financially, it is perfect for our family.  In farming, it is always nice to have that off-farm income because truly, unless you want to pay income tax through the nose, you have to pretty much put (meaning spend) every profit the farm makes back into the farm.  So my career not only is crucial for student loan debt repayment and retirement savings but it also allows for fun, especially cool family vacations or vacations just for Larrin and me (ummmm can you say Mexico in 2012?).

What else did I love about 2011?  Well, I got to watch two of my best friends (you know who you are) become parents to not one beautiful son but two.  Aside from the birth of my three boys, the arrival of these little guys gave me the best feeling in the world.  I was walking on cloud nine for a while after I heard of their safe, complication free arrival.  And....I got to be the nosy, visiting, helping friend when these little guys came home from the hospital.  It was truly an honour to be able to sit and watch my friends care for their new twins and to feel like my presence and assistance was valued.  I know they didn't "need" me but I think I brought them comfort when I was there and I feel honoured that I was invited to and was able to do that.
This isn't the twins I am talking about but I feel it was representative of life with twins:)

In 2011 we said goodbye to an infamous neighbour.  Just your run of the mill, typical back road farmer who smoked a pipe, wore suspenders, kept a hand gun in his stove pipe and refused to wear false teeth.  Elson knew he didn't have a lot of time left and wanted to sell the farm to my father.  My dad had worked for him when he was just a kid and Elson had a great amount of respect for him and trust me, the respect was reciprocated.  My dad spent a lot of time with Elson and through stories and work my dad learned a lot.  Anyways, the property could have sold for more in real estate but Elson did not want it to be sold that way and had worked out a fair deal with my father.  We weren't sure if our deal would hold up because before any papers were signed he became ill and was rushed to the hospital.  He wanted my dad to have his farm so on his death bed, no doubt, informed his sister the farm would be sold to my dad for "said" amount.  And his wishes were followed through with.  It was nice to see that "a handshake" and an old man's wishes were not overshadowed and clouded by the almighty dollar.  So, in 2011 Railcrest Farms purchased another farm and grew by about 100 acres.  Rest in peace Elson.

A huge change around our household in 2011, was all three boys being in school full-time.  It sure makes things easier without having to figure out who's watching the youngest every other day.  It is also great to see the knowledge and growth that the boys accomplish during a school year.  All of the boys have shown considerably enthusiasm with school this year and that makes me very happy.  Their teachers give the boys rave reviews every time I talk with them and this fills me with pride and some sense of accomplishment.  Heck, I must have done something right:)

There are oodles of things to write about, for 2011 like accomplishments the boys had, new technology on the farm, my new quilting obsession and the list goes on and on.  One last thing that has to be mentioned is my first ever running race.  Even though it was "just a 5K", it was pretty cool to challenge myself and follow through with a plan to achieve a goal.  I can see more running and races in my future; it is quite the rush.

2011 was a year filled with love, friendship, challenges and growth.  It truly was a great year but as perfect as it seemed to be I am very excited about the possibilities and experiences that lie ahead in the year 2012.

Comments

  1. Just read this now..I'm not checking out my blogs enough these days. Anyway, thanks for the "shout out". :)
    We love you Cheryl!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts

What do corn and Alaska have in common?