90 Day Challenge

I've been falling into my old habit of binging on fast food after work. Last week, 3 days in a row. For the last 2 months I've probably ate a "combo" at least 3 times per week.  It's a problem and more complicated then it sounds. Most of the time, I'm not even hungry but something compels me and I convince myself I need to eat something before going home.

I've broken this ridiculous behavior down and there are many components to it. First, habit. Second, self-medicating anxiety. Third, self-sabotage.

Bad habits need to be broken. Some are easier to break than others. I know I need to replace this drive thru behaviour with another healthier one.

I've chosen to decrease my anxiety medication simply because I felt like a zombie. Since that decrease my urges for poor eating have increased. I realize that my fast food problem is linked to anxiety. Once I'm done work, my second job begins; making supper, boys homework, boys activities, etc. When I get home from work I am often bombarded with a messy house, a sink full of dishes, hungry boys, etc. which 'stresses' me out. On an empty stomach I 'snap' hence, filling up with crap before I come home.

The self-sabotage is a new angle for me. I have been blaming the two above reasons for far two long all the while knowing that there is more to this behaviour. I need to change the part if me that 'plays' on my insecurities. This is complicated and hard to explain. From the outside I'm a woman that has it all together; I hear this all the time from coworkers, friends, and clients. When I hear this it makes me laugh inside and part of me says 'if they only knew'. I need to stop this voice from sabotaging me!!! I'm great. I've worked hard. I deserve to be happy and healthy. I need to stop worrying about other people seeing the 'real' me.

Last week I started to really focus on this and challenged myself to going 90 days without fast food.  I don't need it, it's a ridiculous habit.  I've gone 4 days so far and it's been pretty easy:)  That's why I chose 90 days.......a week at a time is easy.....I need to sustain it because it is a slippery slope.  I feel a bit embarrassed because there are other people out there dealing with addictions and tougher mental illness; it seems ridiculous that I feel the need to write about this when to others it is so simple to overcome. But...this is my flaw....and I deserve to get rid of it and this is how I need to do it!

My plan is to increase physical activity; either running after work before I come home; running once I'm home; walking the dogs when I come home; working with the horses when I come home.  Also I will keep a check on my "self talk".  I am my own worse enemy sometimes:) I need to remain positive, calm and focused on what's important.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts

What do corn and Alaska have in common?