What do corn and Alaska have in common?

Haven't took the time to write anything lately.  Usually means, I've gone into hiding.  This phenomenon always happens when I am feeling the walls closing in; when life is a bit overwhelming and I have too much on my mind.  Sitting down with my thoughts is therapeutic but I "fight" it for some reason.

So what's going on?  Rain, rain, rain and I leave for a one week Alaskan vacation with my mother in 14 days.  Before my departure I wanted life here to be somewhat organized for those that I am leaving behind.  The biggest obstacle to organization is crop planting.  It was my dream that the crop planting would be well on its way to completion and well....not even close.

To put it into perspective, we usually plant approximately 265 acres of barley, corn and soybeans.  Currently there is 55 acres planted.  Barley is done, with 35 acres planted.  I guess you can say corn is started with 20 of the 165 acres in.  And the 70 acres of soybeans that was planned hasn't even been thought of yet.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as sunshine either.  The corn that we bought to plant is so many "heat units" which basically means the hours of sun the plant would need to grow to maturity.  Since ours will be planted much later we are considering going with a smaller heat unit but so is everyone else that plants corn so supply is an issue.

As well, we fertilize naturally with manure and supplement the soil with other fertilizer as needed.  We hire out our manure spreading to a guy who sets up a huge drag line and pumps the manure through the fields.  Once he is here it takes 1-2 days to do a winter's supply of manure.  But....with the rainy weather he is backed up as well and we haven't seen the appearance of his equipment yet.  Ideally we need the manure out before we plant anymore fields.

The last thing is our hay crop.  We chop our first cut of hay and put it in a silo for haylage.  This is an excellent source of protein for our hard working cows.  To get the most protein and usable nutrients for our cows, hay should be harvested "pre-bud" meaning just as it sounds, before the alfalfa forms buds.  The logic behind this is that at the pre-bud stage the plants consistency changes and protein is decreased and non-usuble fibre increases.  The problem arises because we use the same tractors (not to mention time)  for working the land for cropping as we do for mowing and harvesting the hay so there comes a time when we have to sacrifice the crops for hay production.

When it comes right down to it, I guess it all comes down to me feeling guilty.  Realistically, my contribution to crop and haylage production is merely supportive; driving a tractor here and there, filling in for the odd milking, making sure there is food for hungry men, and providing a listening ear for my husband to vent.  I feel bad that I won't be here to do that and that I am leaving at "the busiest time of the year".

But...Alaska must go on and the bottom line is that my mother has been waiting a lifetime for this trip.  The entire purpose of going to Alaska is geared around a 61 year old woman who hasn't achieved any of her travel dreams.  This trip is my gift to her.  I know in my heart that planning this trip was the right decision and although I have guilty and torn feelings now, when I see her face viewing the beauty of Alaska, it will all become worth it.

The 2011 cropping season will fade into history but the memories I will make with my mother will never be regretted or forgotten.

Comments

  1. You go and have a great trip. I can understand your guilt feelings but if it wasn't these crop problems, there would probably be something else making you feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your husband is extremily resourceful and all will be done in good time. At least you are not in Sask! I guess they are in year two of too wet to plant anything!
    have a great trip...remember I'm here if you need me!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts