Ottawa Race Weekend 2011

To clarify, I didn't completely partake in "Ottawa Race Weekend" but I did have an "Ottawa Race Couple of Hours".  Larrin, Chase, Karson, Arlen and I arrived in Ottawa around 4 pm.  The 5K race was scheduled for 5 pm so we had plenty of time to park, find a Tim Horton's, search for a post-race meeting point, and for me to find my starting coral.

I had watched the starts of previous Ottawa 5K races on the internet so I was prepared for the drones on people lining up to race.  Everything was going as planned until I realized I totally miscalculated the number of people that would outright lie on their registration form.  During registration, runners had to report their expected finishing times.  I had placed myself in the 35-40 minute category because at the time of registering that was pretty much what I was running.  So I was standing in my self-assigned coral and looking around I could tell that I should have moved myself up a coral or maybe even two.  I overheard people discussing their race strategies, "we'll run the first km and then walk the rest right?".  At this point, I knew my hope of finishing under 30 minutes was logistically out of reach.

The gun went to signal the start of the race.   Walking ahead for 7 minutes, I finally reached the "start" line.  I started my stopwatch and ipod and away I went.  It felt great that I knew my body was strong and ready to run.  Enough standing around it was now time to put all of those training runs to work and see what I could accomplish.  I took in the excitement of being a participant and for the first time I actually felt like a real "runner".  I weaved around other runners and kept trying to find a clear path so I could get into some sort of rhythm.  This was pretty hard due to the vast number of people but I surprisingly enjoyed it.

It was nice to see the people of Ottawa cheering on the participants.  Some clapped and cheered, others held signs of encouragement, and one nice man strung his backyard hose to the road and sprayed willing participants.  I actually changed my stride and veered over to catch the cooling mist.  Larrin was with our boys near the finish line.  Truthfully, I was not able to see them in the crowd (I won't tell them that) but it was nice knowing that they witnessed their mother accomplish her goal.  They were excited to congratulate me after the race and picked me some flowers (thanks city of Ottawa and my apologies).



It is kind of funny that before the race started I was looking at the sea of people and all I wanted to do was turn around and head back to my little country road.  Besides, I didn't "need" to run.  I honestly was telling myself, "just stay and run and then never sign up for anything like this again".  During the race, my perspective completely changed and it felt great to simply 'run'.  After the race was finished I immediately felt relief but also a sense of achievement.  It was this feeling, the one of accomplishment and satisfaction that I wasn't expecting.


There was 7437 people in the 5K race.  I finished 2668th.  My official chip time was 30 min. 52.9 sec.  I placed 1085th out of 4585 female participants and 140th out of 570 female runners between 30-34 years of age.  

It was my first 'official' race and I am so glad that it is over.  I come away from the race with confidence, a bit of experience, some fond memories, and some keepsakes too.  All participants received a "Finisher" Medal and of course I get to keep my race bib and timing chip that I will keep laced to my shoe for a while.



I've already looked ahead at area races and there is a 5K in Brockville coming up in September.  My plan now is to work at increasing my running distance and then place focus on decreasing my 5K time.   I've also managed to infect one son with the running bug; Karson has already asked when he can sign up for a race with me.  I'll keep my eyes open for some kid runs in Brockville but in the meantime this makes me look ahead and dream.  I know of a friend who ran a half-marathon with her teenage son.  Could this be Karson and I someday? What a feeling that would be?  

Comments

  1. all the brockville runs have kids 1km runs with them and they are fun! let me know when you want to go out for a run. I get to do short ones again and would love to run with you this summer. or bike. whatever.
    congratulations. You did amazing.
    The brockville canada day run is A LOT of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts

What do corn and Alaska have in common?