Manotick Road Race 10K

This past Sunday I ran my first event of 2013, the Manotick Road Race 10K.  Signing up for this race was an attempt to get my butt out the door and start running again.  It "kinda" worked; I did get out for a few "training" days but not nearly enough.  Despite that, I'm glad that my running has started back up again.

Larrin and the boys were planning on making the trip with me for the race (even though I wanted to go alone).  Funny how he feels the need to support this venture when I don't really need the support on race day.  Anyways, it was a late night on Saturday night for the boy so Larrin agreed to stay home and let them sleep in while I went alone.  To be honest, I was looking forward to an independent venture; maybe a little selfish but whatever.

My overall goal for the 10K distance is under 1 hour.  I knew that this was a pretty lofty expectation for this race due to my lack of running so my race goal was under 1h:10m.  After oatmeal and a coffee, it was about an hour drive to Manotick.  I ate a granola bar and drank some pre-race energy drink about 20 minutes before start time.  I got to the race site with 15 min to spare.  Found a bathroom, did a quick warm up and that was about it.

It was already pretty hot so I decided to run in a t-shirt (first time this year without a jacket) and my long running tights.  I hadn't even thought of bringing water since the weather thus far hasn't really dictated the need for water for a 10K.  My mistake, it ended up being pretty hot and my body was not used to the heat.  I stupidly skipped the water station at 3K because I hate stopping when I'm running well.  The next water station was 6K, I grabbed two cups which had the equivalent to 2 gulps total....not really enough:)  The first 4K were great, although I went out too fast....again.  The next 4K were a struggle and then the last 2K the thoughts of the finish line, a medal and some water motivated me to finish the distance.  The last 1K was pretty much all down hill which I loved!!!  My final time was 1h:07m:28s.  

I'm happy getting this race behind me.  I liked the course, and now that I have run it once, I know what to expect.  I may do the same race again next spring because it was a small event that isn't too far from home.  

Next race, is the California Run in Brockville this coming Sunday.  My work is a sponsor for the race and they wanted employees to participate....I think I'm the only one:)  I'll be doing the 5K.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts

Brockville California Run 5K

What do corn and Alaska have in common?