September Low or High?

Where has September gone?  It seemed to fly by probably due to a number of things; boys back to school, working full-time, start of hockey season etc.  At the end of the month I usually add up my running mileage and record it.  I am a bit of a numbers, charts and graphs freak.  Well September was a bit of a low....to put it mildly.

I find it so hard to believe that I did not do any running in September.  None.  Zilch.  Zero.  Well, I did run 1 km with Karson but really does that count?  But I'm not going to panic.  I am not going to say that it's because I am working five days a week or that I haven't run because the weather is getting colder, or that it gets dark too fast.  Nope, I'm not focusing on the negative.  Truth is, I accomplished a heck of a lot in September and I'm proud of it.

I love my new job and I am taking on new challenges everyday.  I was promoted to be the Pandemic Planning Nurse (a task I do not take lightly; go see the movie "Contagion"; hey it could happen).  I've also become quite comfortable in my new Communicable Disease role and I can see this job being very rewarding and also challenging enough to hold my attention for a while;)  I also love my new coworkers and I look forward to going to work.

I've also started working out twice a week at a local gym.  This gym enrols women and places them in groups.  Our personal trainer gives us 5 possible workouts from which we choose 2 that we will attend.  It's great because you always have someone to work out with and because you are meeting a personal trainer you are somewhat accountable to 'show up'.  I've been doing the workouts for two weeks now and it feels great.  I also like the social aspect of meeting the girls at the gym and my trainer makes me work muscles that I hate doing and she also punishes me when I slack off.  The workouts are mainly weights so I'm hoping to mix some running workouts into the week but for the meantime this is working.

If you've been reading my blog you can also see that I've begun a beginner quilting class.  It is going fabulously and I am so impressed with myself and my creations.  Needless to say, I love it.  It also reminds me a lot of my Grandmother and although it makes me miss her, ironically it also makes me feel very close to her.  Quilting makes me remember how talented she was and how a little bit of that has rubbed off on me.  I'm hoping that once this current quilt project is done, I can get some of my Grandmother's quilting stash and see if there is any old blocks that she has done and maybe I can incorporate them into something new.  That would be very special for me.

So September wasn't such a low after all.  Beautiful and important things have happened in September and I am grateful for that.  I am not going to get frustrated or annoyed with myself because I didn't go running.  I've initiated gym workouts and found another beautiful hobby that makes me happy.  When I put it that way, September sounds like it was great and that is exactly what it was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

What do corn and Alaska have in common?

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts