I think I am getting close.....

One of the reasons for starting to put my thoughts into a blog was to attempt to organize my brain and come up with a way to find some 'healthy balance' in my hectic life.  Well folks, I think I am getting close.

In the last week, I have felt my energy levels skyrocket.  I am sure it is due to many things that have changed or been added to my life in the past couple months but seriously....I have energy and it feels great!

Definitely the drop from three nursing jobs to one has made a huge impact on the balance in my life.  My brain is focusing on one set of coworkers, policies and procedures and working schedule and over the last 3 months I have released quite a bit of stress.  Plus, no nights, weekends or holidays for this girl.  Makes a huge impact on my family and I don't feel like I am letting them down anymore by not being here which equals less guilt.

At home on the farm, we have started a new 'chore' rotation in that Larrin and Dad have every other weekend off (this includes Saturday night, Sunday morning and Sunday night so it really isn't the whole weekend).  On my Dad's weekend off, I have been doing the milking.   This has turned out great.  People may find this a bit hard to believe, but my cows are my therapy; I love working with them and it reminds me of who I am....I know that sounds really weird but it's how I feel.  I could spend hours in the barn and it feels like an escape.  Before the classifier came, I was washing tails and brushing the cows and I was hoping for time to slow down so I could get more cows done.  Odd?  But that's me.  And this isn't new, I was definitely born this way.  Animals have always been my safe haven and that is probably why my best friends growing up were an old horse named 'Goldie' and a cat named 'Cooner'.  And why I have a petting zoo in my backyard:)

I am still doing my small workout regimen of 2 days a week.  In 5 weeks, I haven't lost any weight.  In fact, I have gained.  But really, I don't really factor the scale in much these days.  With the newfound energy that I have I couldn't care less if the scale is going up.  That and the fact that I have lost 5 inches (all on bum, waist and thighs) is phenomenal.  And when I wear short sleeve shirts, people comment on my arms and how toned they are:)  Sarah, my personal trainer, who runs the group that I am in, is so great and having a small group of girls to endure pain with two days a week is pretty awesome.  One girl has lost a total of 65 lbs; truly inspiring to watch people change their lives.

I'm eating better too and it is making a difference.  I make sure I pack a lunch for work and if I don't, I will get a sandwich or soup.  My eating regimen still has some improvement to make but I plan on trying to eat more; I need to eat more snacky things in the day, like celery, carrots, apples etc.  Then when it comes to supper I won't be so hungry and think that 2 giant pieces of lasagna is okay.  This will all happen in time but it's a journey right?

Oh yes....and I can't forget about my new love...quilting.  It's been pretty fantastic to learn some new skills and actually make something quite beautiful.  I am almost done my first quilt and I'll post some pictures in a bit.  For my birthday, my fabulous husband gave me two gift certificates (Sports experts and Taylor sewing centre).  I love that he realizes that quilting and running are both still important to me:)  Anyways, with the gift certificate and some more birthday money, I bought a new sewing machine....holy crap it's awesome.  But I won't bore anyone with details.....

So to sum up.  I have energy and I feel great.  So in order to achieve my healthy balance I need to include a less hectic work life, spending time with my bovine friends, working out, healthy eating, and quilting into my life.  Seems easy enough.

What do you think brings or could bring you balance to your life?  I'm interested to know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

What do corn and Alaska have in common?

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts