Catching up.

It's been a while since I've checked in and lots of exciting things have been happening.  We have had some amazingly hot weather so lots of time has been spent swimming in "Grandma's" pool or at on of the local beaches.  The boys are pretty self sufficient swimmers so it makes for some pretty relaxing times.

I took a quick trip to see my best friends who had just brought home their twins.  That's their life and business so I won't write too much about that.  Just wanted to say it was great seeing them become parents and their babies are adorable.

Our extracurricular activities are somewhat winding down; one more baseball game, three more soccer games and four mornings of swimming left.  Chase has started riding lessons once a week which he loves.

The little backyard hobby farm has expanded with 20 new chicks.  I had assumed one hen had been a victim of a raccoon but was very excited when she suddenly showed up one morning with eleven babies.  Another pair of hens (I'm not judging) are co-mothering five little ones and three other hens have one chick each.  And....last night when I checked on the duck, I seen a little duckling poking out from under her feathers.  The boys have names our pair of ducks "Bill and Sandra" and I think the new duckling will be named "Gerald" or "Carl" (we are just assuming it is a boy).

I had a job interview for a permanent full-time position at the health unit; it went very well despite working a 12 hour hospital shift the night before.  I should hear the if I was successful this week.  I've also decided to give my notice at both hospitals and hang up my scrubs for now.

My beloved cow Karina is officially "gone".  Who would have thunk that the local butcher would pay us $900 to keep her grazing in a nice pasture forever.  Despite that not being the truth I think it sounds pretty good.  Karina, I bet you are making a lot of people very happy or at least their stomach's very happy.

"Milk has dropped like a stone".  Can you guess who said that?  The cows are definitely feeling extra stress from the heat and humidity.  Larrin and Dad have worked hard to keep the cows cool during these hot days; cooling them daily with the pressure washer and even setting up "misters" to cool them with water.  Ironically, with the heat we have had a pneumonia going around the barn.  Seems to effect cows that have recently calved (under stress) which is cumulating with the heat and humidity to cause respiratory problems.  Some responded to antibiotics so that led us to believe it was a bacterial pneumonia which led us to vaccinate the rest of the herd.  Hopefully we have it contained now.

I think I've pretty much summed up what has been happening around here.  Hope everyone's summer is going great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brockville California Run 5K

Running/Knee/Fitness Thoughts

What do corn and Alaska have in common?